Spare ribs that melt in your mouth, with a tasty Chinese-style mango sauce. Perfect for a Sunday brunch!
- 2 racks pork spare ribs, cut individually
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 3 spice powder
- 4 tbsp Holy Cow! Mango & Chilli BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch of ginger, grated
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarsely crushed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 2 star anise (whole)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp of black bean sauce (optional)
- 90g/2oz Holy Cow! Mango & Chilli BBQ Sauce
- 30g/1oz Worcestershire sauce
- 60ml/2oz light soy sauce
- 90g/3oz honey (or plum sauce)
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (adjust for your prefered heat level)
- Toss the ribs in all the marinade ingredients, use your hands to mix them properly and set aside for at least 2 hours. It wouldn’t hurt if they stay there overnight (in an air-tight container).
- Place the ribs with the marinade in a large saucepan with all the cooking ingredients. Cover with water, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. Or 40 minutes if you are using a pressure cooker.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Put all of the sauce ingredients into the large saucepan along with the ribs and bring to a simmer. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes. Check occasionally.
- To serve, pile the ribs onto a serving plate. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and chopped fresh red chillis.